"The Eldridge Street synagogue…is an impressive representation of traditional Judaism, modified perforce by the spirit of the time and surroundings."

Century Magazine, 1892


In the Synagogue


+ enlarge image

See more ark curtains:

Side Ark Curtain (Parochet)

Undated, probably mid 20th century
Red velvet with metallic embroidery
37 x 23 inches

At the front corners of the main sanctuary at Eldridge Street are two wooden cabinets—side arks—that are used to store the haftorah
scrolls, which are selections from the Books of Prophets that are read
every Sabbath following the reading of the Torah. A pair of simple red
velvet curtains was made to cover these arks. Both are decorated with a
stylized Torah crown at the top and a Star of David at the center. A
thin scrolled border is stitched around the edge.

The upper inscription on the curtain shown here reads “The Early
Prophets,” and its mate, which is in better condition, reads “The Later
Prophets.” Both are dedicated “To the Memory of the soul of Bella,
daughter of Zecil, wife of R’ David Silver.” Silver was an officer of
the congregation in the 1920s and 30s and its president in the 1940s.

One puzzle remains. Since the keyholes to open the side arks are eight feet above the ground, it is hard to imagine how the haftorah
scrolls were ever taken in and out of the cabinets, a process that
would have been made even more difficult when curtains were hung before

Contribute Your Story

Click here