1887; restored 1986-2007
Marble with metal fixtures
24 inches wide x 21 inches deep x 6.25 inches high
Two marble sinks, one on each side of the vestible, served both a spiritual and a practical purpose for the congregation. They were used for the Blessing of the Cohanim, a religious ritual practiced on certain Jewish holidays. They also served a mundane purpose, allowing worshippers to wash off the grime of dirty city streets in preparation for prayer. In the synagogue’s earliest days, most congregants would not have had the pleasure of running water in their homes, and using these sinks to wash their hands would have been a luxury.