Listen to excerpts from walking tours & programs.
Love & Marriage on the Lower East Side
With Annie Polland:
- The Border and Missus Scandals
- Emma Goldman On Love
- Synagogues Vs. Dancehalls
- Pickle King Karp
- American Clothing
- “Proper” Weddings
A Tale of Two Cantors
With Jeffrey Shandler:
The Choices We Make
With Samuel Gruber:
Judaism Survives Migration to America
With Daniel Soyer :
Immigrant History lectures:
- Rabbi Jacob Josephs, first Chief Rabbi of New York,with Prof. Jeffrey Gurock
- “Buildings Tell Stories”, with Dr. Marilyn Chiat
- Q & A with Jeffrey Gurock: “How Did Immigrants Support Synagogues?”
- The Yom Kippur Riot with Annie Polland
- Jarmalovsky’s Bank with Annie Polland
- The Kosher Meat Boycott with Annie Polland
- The Kosher Meat Boycott Part 2 with Annie Polland
Learn about Jewish immigrants’ encounter with America and ways they practiced and preserved their religious traditions.
- Download the complete Academic Angles booklet
- Golden Medine, Treyfene Medine: Judaism Survives Migration to America, Daniel Soyer (pdf)
- The Meanings of Migration: American Jews, Eldridge Street and Neighborhoods, Deborah Dash Moore (pdf)
- A Culture of Order: Decorum and the Eldridge Street Synagogue, Riv-Ellen Prell (pdf)
- Closing the Americanization Gap, Jeffrey Gurock (pdf)
- A Tale of Two Cantors: Pinhas Minkowsky and Yosele Rosenblatt, Jeffrey Shandler (pdf)
- The Jewish Ghetto Meets its Neighbors, Tony Michels (pdf)
- The Choices We Make: Focus on Eldridge Street Synagogue restoration, Samuel Gruber (pdf)
- Saving and Praising the Past, Marilyn Chiat (pdf)
The Museum at Eldridge Street’s Academic Angles educational series is
supported by the Blanche and Irving Laurie Foundation, Inc., Alan B.
Slifka Foundation, National Endowment for the Humanities, New York Council for the Humanities, and the Charles and Mildred Schnurmacher Foundation.
Any views, findings, conclusions and recommendations expressed in this
program do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for
the Humanities or the other funders.